The ISO 14000 series Standards are developed with the following objectives:
• They must result in better environmental management.
• They must be applicable in all nations.
• They should promote the broad interests of the public and the users of the standards.
• They should be cost effective, non-prescriptive, and flexible, to allow them to meet the differing needs of organizations of any size worldwide.
• As part of their flexibility, they should be suitable for internal or external verification.
• They should be scientifically based.
• And above all, they should be practical, useful and useable.
ISO 14001:2004 EMS Standard is based upon the following principles:
Principle 1 – Commitment and policy: An organization should define its environmental policy and ensure commitment to its environmental management system.
Principle 2 – Planning: An organization should formulate a plan to fulfill its environmental policy.
Principle 3 – Implementation: For effective implementation, an organization should develop the capabilities and support mechanisms necessary to achieve its environmental policy, objectives and targets.
Principle 4 – Measurement and evaluation: An organization should check (monitor, measure and evaluate) its environmental performance.
Principle 5 – Review and improvement: An organization should review and continually improve its environmental management system, with the objective of improving its overall environmental performance.
Welcome! Please share the information about this blog to your friends, interested organizations and professionals. You may contact me by sending a letter or email. Consultancy guidance, documentation development assistance and training services are available.
Articles, write-ups, news-briefs related to ISO 14001:2004 EMS are invited for publication in this blog. Writers / publishers may send complimentary copy of their books / publications for review.
Question-Answer Forum: I invite your question(s) on ISO 14001:2004 EMS. Question(s) of general interest will be answered in this blog.
With best wishes,
Keshav Ram Singhal
Request: Please make your reaction and comments to blog posts. You may visit blog on 'ISO 9001:2008 QMS Awareness' at http://iso9001-2008awareness.blogspot.in/. Thanks.